Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Second Encounter



Here is a picture of the second yellow jacket hive I have tangled with in my life. The cool thing is my hero Daddy was there this time (as well as the first time as a kid on Nash Lane) to put gasoline on my stings and take care of me. I was out in the yard messing with the timbers (in the back corner in the "secret garden") when I got a couple stings - one on my shoulder and one on the back of my thigh. I never saw a yellow jacket, mind you. I maintained excellent control as I walked up to the house and went inside, calling calmly for Chris and Dad to come help me. I took off my shirt and a yellow jacket flew out....you'll be impressed to know I still didn't lose it at that point (although I believe I yelled pretty good which was probably the yell that set my eldest off). I then proceeded to take my pants off and saw another yellow jacket stuck inside my pantleg (UPPER thigh in a pair of tight jeans, for cryin'out loud!) After freakishly kicking my pants away and I assume yelling again...I was pretty much beside myself and couldn't really answer the questions being thrown at me by my precious and concerned husband. I just stood there in my skivies leaning over the counter grunting....trying to maintain sanity while Dad rubbed gasoline on the stings. (We won't talk about the emotional trauma the unaccounted for yellow jacket in the house caused my eldest....)

The hive was hiding down in the ground under the timbers....this is after the guys sprayed then dug out the timbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment